Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Nuclear Winter

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. (Alfred Camus) 

We missed the Geminids again this year, back in December when the moon was new and the chill had already begun seeping through the floorboards. Still, we’ve never been so far North where it snows in April, admist bolts of lightening and fleeting rain. I have been reading a lot lately to pass the time, falling in and out of insomnia, phasing into hazy dreams that leave me more exhausted than before. At times it seems as if winter would never end, that spring has forsaken us to rot in this desolate wasteland, and I am wasting along with it, collapsing into myself, scattering into stardust.

March is the end of an era, yet in many ways it might just be the beginning. Not that there is anything wrong with a little metaphorical death, but we have conquered too many mountains and come too far for giving up to even be an option. Everything has changed, nothing has changed. Come morning, despite the laws of physics and the steady decay of radioactive elements, my bones are still my bones (and your heart, still your heart). If there is any true logic in this universe, we’ll find ourselves on that bridge again someday, watching the streetlights blink in and out of focus, waiting for the dizzying rush of blood as the world tilts and rotates. I see the stars my dear, and they are calling me home.


22 comments:

  1. Ah wow, I love "my bones are still my bones (and your heart, still your heart)." What a lovely post and the photography is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loove the upside down/reflection pic, I had to do a double take when I scrolled past!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's funny cause I haven't been down to the frozen beach in awhile and some of the snow had melted so it just created this amazing landscape.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos, I love the reflection one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow beautiful atmosphere in your pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautifully written, and amazing pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this is incredible. You are a wonderful writer and a photographer. I have to say my favorite photo is the 3rd one from the top, it's very unique :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elif! I love reflection photographs as well..so many puddles in the city right now, but never enough models to follow me around haha.

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous, I know what it's like to remember those times when everything else changes.

    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad to be back here, seeing your blog and commenting. It's been too long, my friend! Anyway, the photos: the double exposure and the reflection one are my favorites. You always manage to create a distinct mood with each of your posts, whatever it is. I can echo your frustrations about this winter! It can certainly tuck its tail between its legs and leave us be. Enough. And the words? I love how I'm reading them, reading "desolate wasteland" but thinking of your Chicago playground. There is so much life in Chicago, but with winter ... it is ghastly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you look so dreamy and pretty dear! :)

    xoxo,
    rae
    http://raellarina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love that camus quote! particularly because i hate winter and get so depressed every time it rolls around. i hope the snow starts melting for you soon though, can't imagine living in a climate where it snows and having it stick around longer than it's supposed to as well.

    little henry lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love Camus as well. Is it ridiculous that it is STILL cold and wintery and ugh I can't stand it at all. At least it finally stopped snowing!

      Delete
  11. beautiful impressions by the sea. camus was one of my friends in the philosophy studies at university. i like him a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These photos remind me of a mermaid made of seaweed and a conversation my friend and I had two nights ago about how excited we are for the new Sofia Coppola movie. I wish more people had access to professional recording equipment. I wonder what movie you might make. I have only looked at your latest three posts so far, but I feel so drawn into them. I wonder how your ability to draw people in might translate to film. I hope you've made movies. I hope you make movies.

    Glitterous Clitoris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You leave the kindest most encouraging comments!! I would love to work with film one day, but I don't even know where to begin. I'm curious to try though.

      Delete

Followers

Cargo Collective Email Instagram Pinterest Tumblr Twitter