Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Evacuation Order No.18

It was late December and outside it was dusk. Every time the clouds began rolling in, she would set out the buckets and wait for the rain. Without looking up from the map, she stuck her hand out to catch the cool droplets, letting them run through her fingers like threads of silk. The 8’o clock warning whistle sounded. She dried her hands on the fraying edges of her sleeve and stepped in front of the window. Last spring, hundreds of magpies came down from the mountain in a cloud of black and white that blotted out the sky, like a beautiful dream. And now? She is sitting on the stone steps in front of her house, practicing her alphabet backwards, and wondering what will be for supper, maybe, or who was winning the war. She wonders if there are stars in the desert and if she’ll ever find her way home. Everything keeps changing.


16 comments:

  1. Love your blog and pictures! ..immediately fell in love with them! Thank you for the sweet comment :) Is this you in the photos? The pictures are so professional and the girl is so pretty! Glad to have found you~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like the photographs!. The girl is not me, it is my friend whom you can find at http://iliketoeatcake.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  2. Love the title and the linking ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Love your photos so much x
    http://xtheperfectmess.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pictures are really nice!
    Happy new year, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never know if your words are poetical fiction or elegant truth. I love the mystery that surrounds them. I think here, in this set, my favorite photo of your friend is the one where she is with a blue umbrella. I love the color; I think that is what draws me to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind! I think of words the same way as I think of photography: the most beautiful kind of lie that might as well be truth? Is that too cynical? hahaha. I am glad you like the photograph of the umbrella! This was a really hard set to put together because none of the photographs matched perfectly, was rather frustrated hahahah.

      Delete
  6. Oh I just adore this post, I think you captured change well.

    I hope you enjoyed all the various festivities that have passed :)

    all my love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photoshoot! Thanks for you comment, its really interesting we have so much in common. I'm your new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos! The outfits are utterly gorgeous :)
    Kimmy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This series is gorgeous and filled with elegance and beauty. Great!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Cargo Collective Email Instagram Pinterest Tumblr Twitter